Shop safely during lockdown
During the current national lockdown, only essential shops can open.
Please make sure you shop safely.
What we are doing to keep shoppers safe
Messages and signs are in place to remind shoppers to keep a safe distance.
There are new measures and restrictions in place at public toilets.See more about changes to shopping areas
What can I do to keep safe?
- Shop locally Walk or cycle to the shops if you can
- Stay alert on public transport Find out how on the Nexus website
- Maintain social distancing From both shoppers and shop staff
- Shop solo Where you can
- Listen to stewards They are helping you to stay safe
- Pay with contactless When in shops
- Use a face covering More about when you need to wear a face covering
- Use hand sanitiser Where available or carry your own
- Pay for car parking by phone More information on the PayByPhone app
Shop Safe, Shop Local
During the pandemic, please support our great local traders.
If your chosen shop is physically closed, check for a website or social media page - you may be able to order online.
Dine At Home
While COVID restrictions are still in place, you can support local restaurants, cafes and pubs from home.
Many are now offering a takeaway service, for either collection or delivery.
Enjoy your favourite restaurant's tasty dishes from the comfort of your front room and back South Tyneside businesses.More Information about Dine At Home
Advice for shop owners
We are aware of the immense challenges our business community has had to face over recent months and we are committed to helping businesses to bounce back and to helping our local economy recover.See guidance for businesses
South Shields Market
For the most up-to-date information on markets in South Shields, including changes we have made to help keep you safe, please visit the South Tyneside Council website.Information about South Shields Market
- National lockdown required to slow spread of Covid-19 4th January 2021
- Government places North East in Tier 4 30th December 2020
- Shoppers urged to back Borough's small businesses 3rd December 2020
- South Tyneside enters second national lockdown 5th November 2020
- Residents urged to stay safe 2nd July 2020
- Friday market ready to welcome shoppers 23rd June 2020
- Nook open for business 16th June 2020
- Shops prepare to reopen their doors 10th June 2020
- New socially distanced market for South Shields 9th June 2020