Welcome back, please shop safely
We are pleased to welcome back non-essential retail from 12 April.
Please make sure you shop safely.
What we are doing to keep shoppers safe
Messages and signs are in place to remind shoppers to keep a safe distance.
Business and Community Support Officers will be on hand to help the public and businesses keep safe and to answer any queries.
There are new measures and restrictions in place at public toilets.See more about changes to shopping areas
What can I do to keep safe?
- Shop locally Walk or cycle to the shops if you can
- Stay safe on public transport Find out how on the Nexus website
- Maintain social distancing Between both shoppers and shop staff.
- Shop solo Where you can
- Listen to Business and Community Support Officers and Stewards They are helping you to stay safe
- Pay with contactless When in shops
- Use a face covering More about when you need to wear a face covering
- Use hand sanitiser Where available or carry your own
- Pay for car parking by phone More information on the PayByPhone app
- Check government advice About what you can and cannot do
Shop Safe, Shop Local
During the pandemic, please support our great local traders.
If your chosen shop is physically closed, check for a website or social media page - you may be able to order online.
Going out, out in South Tyneside
Many hospitality venues across the Borough have now welcomed customers back for outdoor food and drinks.
Please remember to follow government guidance to keep yourself and others safe while you enjoy catching up with loved ones outdoors and support your local businesses.
- Only socialise with 5 other people or 1 other household
- Maintain a safe distance from others
- Remain seated whilst being served
- Use hand sanitiser and wash your hands regularly
- Check in to venues using the NHS Test and Trace app or by leaving your contact details
Advice for shop owners
We are aware of the immense challenges our business community has had to face over recent months and we are committed to helping businesses to bounce back and to helping our local economy recover.See guidance for businesses
South Shields Market
For the most up-to-date information on markets in South Shields, including changes we have made to help keep you safe, please visit the South Tyneside Council website.Information about South Shields Market
- Supporting Businesses on the Roadmap to Recovery 9th April 2021
- National lockdown required to slow spread of Covid-19 4th January 2021
- Government places North East in Tier 4 30th December 2020
- Shoppers urged to back Borough's small businesses 3rd December 2020
- South Tyneside enters second national lockdown 5th November 2020
- Residents urged to stay safe 2nd July 2020
- Friday market ready to welcome shoppers 23rd June 2020
- Nook open for business 16th June 2020
- Shops prepare to reopen their doors 10th June 2020
- New socially distanced market for South Shields 9th June 2020